Friday, June 13, 2014

5 Disadvantages of Too Much YA Movies

The Bad Side of Having Too Much YA Book To Movie Adaptations

Q: Who got excited when they announced John Green's The Fault In Our Stars would be a movie? 
A: Book nerds! 

Q: Who rushed to the nearest theater on the opening night of Veronica Roth's Divergent
A: Book nerds!

The argument that this is the YA Boom Era is over. That is more than a fact now, especially that YA books are dominating the theaters. However, despite our excitement that more and more YA books are transforming from page to screen, there are some disadvantages that might eventually turn to our little book nerd pet peeve. 

1. Our Own Little Book Nerd Secrets Will Be Revealed To Non-Readers 
We, book nerds, enjoy having our own little secrets. When we hate someone, we love calling them factionless, mundane, muggles, mortal. Their clueless face is a sign that we have won that argument. As book nerds, we have our own world. It's like having our own inside joke. 
Non-readers should not get this joke. Everyone is welcome to our bookworm world, but the ticket to get in is you should read the books that we love. But because of movies, it's like we are letting non-readers infiltrate our world. It's like having your secret club, but your secret password was revealed, and now people who don't even know the purpose of your club are acting like they've been members like forever. 

2. The Trending Hate 
Look at this conversation: 
Non-Reader: I hate Twilight! 
Book Nerd: Why? 
Non-Reader: Kirsten Stewart is like a -- 
Book Nerd: Don't judge a book by its movie. Tell me about the book. 
Non-Reader: I haven't read it. But I hate it. 

I know as a book nerd you've experienced this before and not only with the book Twilight by ms. Stephenie Meyer. Non-readers tend to think that they have read the book after they see the movie. What's worse is they think they have all the right to bash the author when in reality they haven't experienced her writing style or narratives. 

3. MTI Covers 
I am a book collector, and I love it when my books look beautiful on my shelves. But the thing is I don't like MTI covers. MTI means Movie Tie-In. The examples are the very first picture of this post. Don't get me wrong, I love some MTI covers. As a matter of fact, I happily bought John Green's The Fault In Our Stars in MTI. But I am sad to say that some are just not pleasing to the eyes. Why not just avoid them, right? I avoid them as mush as I can, but there are cases that you can't believe is a sad reality; 
This is the box set of the reprint edition of ms. Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy. The covers were plain beautiful, but let me show you how they look like outside the box. 
They are beautiful, but the first one is a big eyesore. To get the original cover, 
you need to buy it separately. My point here is not about too much spending money on books (I mean when did we say we spend too much on book?) We just don't want our bookshelves to be full of books with MTI covers. It is a bookshelf not a DVD or blu-ray shelf. We have a different area for that. 

4. That Annoying "Now A Major Motion Picture" Sticker
That small sticker (or sometimes they become part of the cover) is just an eyesore. I don't mind it from time to time, but, again, if all books are turning into movies, I will not be surprised if one day all the books have that annoying sticker. 

5. Book-Nerds Wanna Bes 
Have you seen a guy wearing a shirt with your favorite bnad's logo imprinted on it? After striking a conversation, he's clueless who the band is. 
When books become movies, the movie will do all the gimmicks they know to attract business. I know some people have seen The Fault In Our Stars without reading the book. It is totally fine. I love it that they choose to watch the movie, but just imagine seeing a guy wearing this: 
And he neither has read the book or seen the movie. Or worse, he has no idea what "Okay? Okay." is. 






   






No comments:

Post a Comment