Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Unmatching Book Covers!

Are you a book collector? 
Imagine the pictures below are books in your shelf.


Across The Universe Series 
Shatter Me Trilogy 
Proxy Series 

This might be an imaginary (or digital bookshelf), but I know many of you have muttered under your breath, "that is my bookshelf," and it is not because of these amazing books that we own. It's because of the un-matching covers. 

I don't have any idea what is the main goal of many publishers out there whenever they decide to reprint covers. If it is more money they want, I believe it is kinda working and kinda not

Why so? 

Why kinda working: 

The Anna And The French Kiss series covers went from this:
To this: 

I have nothing against the first covers, but I have a special story about that (And I will post that story soon). 

Let's take a minute to adore the new covers. It is no longer and argument that they will look good on our shelves. However, the first two books are only available in paperback. The last installment is coming out on August 14, 2014 in hardcover.

I digress. Why they work? Like what I said, the third book will come out in hardcover first. Who wants a un-matching book formats on their shelves? What I do is I will buy my copy of Isla And The Happily Ever After on ebook reader first and then I will buy the paperback once it comes out. In other words, that publisher will take more money out of my pocket more than I intended to spend on books. 

Why they kinda not work:

The Delirium Trilogy went from this: 
To this: 

First, I must say that the covers are beautiful and I can't tell you how much I love The Delirium Trilogy
But why the new covers don't work? The new covers come out all in hardcovers. I am the type of person who doesn't buy they first installment of the series (most of the time) unless the second book is already out. Once I see the second book is a new cover, I stop buying the book. Instead of the publisher getting more money from their readers, they lose buyers. 
Luckily, though, the first book got reprinted as a hardcover, so I ended up buying the it. 

_________________

"Don't judge a book by its cover" 

How many times have we heard that? 
I know it's unavoidable, but some readers do not really judge books by their covers. 
As a book collectors, that is another story for us. We love making our bookshelves look as beautiful as possible, but book publishers have their own goal-- earn money, more money, and more money. 
We love buying books, and I know it is annoying to have to buy another copy, but books always have their value regardless of their covers. 

I did not write this blog to diss publishers, especially authors. During Festival of Books 2014, I talked to Ms. Emery Lord author of Open Road Summer. She said that they have no control on what is happening to the covers. If ever to become an author, I guess I want the book cover to be the least of my worries. 

However, I just want to give praises to these publishers, because when they make new covers, they finish the whole series first before they reprint everything. 

The Percy Jackson And The Olympians Series went from this: 
To this: 


Ms. Sarah Dessen do not write series, but hey, look how beautiful the covers are. 

The book covers went from this: 
To this: 

_____________________
Books mentioned: 

_________________
Works cited: 
All photos from BN.com 











   









No comments:

Post a Comment