Friday, May 30, 2014

The Summer I Turned Pretty Book Review

(5/5 STARS)

FANBOY POV: 
Jenny Han is definitely the author to follow! Her novel is like an expensive dark chocolate. Once you bite it, the sweetness will spread around your tongue, but it will leave a bitter aftertaste. 

CRITIC POV: 
The melodramas are like cut and will leave you hanging like crazy. 

THE REVIEW:

WRITING STYLE:
I love short chapters, but when it comes to contemporary novels, I am kinda iffy when I know that the author cuts chapter really short. I love Ms.Sarah Dessen. And one of the reasons I love her is she will cradle you with the drama of the scenes. It will carry and soothe you slowly before putting you down gently. For Ms. Jenny Han, the dramatic scenes will carry and soothe you too, but she will slam you down big time. I am not complaining. It's just that I love to stay and savor the dramatic scenes longer because they are beautiful. 

PACE:
I am not sure what to say here other than I know it is fast. It moves the plot really good, but when you want to stay in the scene, well tough luck. 

CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT:
All right! What can I say? Jenny Han plainly excels in this area. You will have a love and hate relationship with the characters. You'll feel sorry for them. You'll fell loved by them. You'll feel everything. They are so alive that you can see them with their own mannerisms and whatnot. 

PLOT:
At first, I wasn't not sure where the plot is going, but really it was just Belly holding on to what she really wants. She is not letting it go. It's like She and Conrad are having the toughest shell contest. Whoever let other in to their lives will lose the game. 

MY VERDICT:
Follow this author! She clearly has talent and I love, love, love this series. 

RATING BREAKDOWN:
WRITING STYLE: +1 STAR(S)
PACE: NO STAR(S)
CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT: +1 STAR(S)
PLOT: +1 STAR(S)
MY VERDICT: +2 STAR(S)

No comments:

Post a Comment